Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Alness

Default Alness

For me the River Alness on the North side of the Cromarty Firth is the most magical river to fish. Six rotating beats with scenery varying from open moorland to deep gorges. Stunning scenery and a huge variety of pools. I've been fishing it on and off for nearly thirty years and never tire of it. Can't wait for my annual trip at the end of September!
    Eminem and Soundmixer like this.

Sounds excellent. We're booked in for the w/c 19th October, for our first ever trip.

Really looking forward to it, as it looks not only an amazing place to fish, but also somewhere very well run.

Any advice before our trip most welcome!

Oscar.

Default Alness

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Sounds excellent. We're booked in for the w/c 19th October, for our first ever trip.

Really looking forward to it, as it looks not only an amazing place to fish, but also somewhere very well run.

Any advice before our trip most welcome!

Oscar.
    Hi Oscar,

You won't be disappointed! You can find all the information that you need on the Novar Fishings Partnership website:Novar Fishings River Alness.

Roger Dowsett, who runs Novar Fishings, is a very nice guy and incredibly helpful. The website is one of the best I've ever seen.

Have a great trip!

Best wishes.

Alastair

Alastair,

Yes, have studied the website in detail, and drooled over all of the pools!

I may be in touch nearer the time for some inside info.

Let's pray for the rainiest summer and autumn on record...

Thanks, Oscar.

Caught my first ever salmon from the stick pool (if my memory swerves ?) on the Town water in 1977. It truely is a mystical place once you wander upstream through the Novar beats... bucket list ammended.

Default Alness

Alastair-could not agree more.What a fantastic range of terrain and beats.Fished it two years ago and hit it just right but next time round was in a drought with no chance of compensation water from loch Morie-it was challenging to say the least.On balance however I would always look forward to a return visit.Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Alastair,

Yes, have studied the website in detail, and drooled over all of the pools!

I may be in touch nearer the time for some inside info.

Let's pray for the rainiest summer and autumn on record...

Thanks, Oscar.
    Hi Oscar. By all means do get in contact. Delighted to help if I can!

Quote Originally Posted by richard griffith View Post
    Alastair-could not agree more.What a fantastic range of terrain and beats.Fished it two years ago and hit it just right but next time round was in a drought with no chance of compensation water from loch Morie-it was challenging to say the least.On balance however I would always look forward to a return visit.Richard.
    Hi Richard. The unpredictability is part of the magic. Unlucky not to get any compensation water. Only had 2 blanks in nearly thirty years - best week ever I had 9 fish. Best ever fish 17lbs - a lot of fun on a small river!! If I could only fish one river ever again it would be he Alness!

Fished it twice on the six beats part. lovely river. beautiful scenery and I caught both trips. my mates were not so keen so have never been back. to this day still not sure why. Seems to be a lot of fish from August onwards.
    I was told the river has been "man made" to get to the stunning state it is in now. Lots of blasting to create the pools as they are now. Not sure how true this is.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    Fished it twice on the six beats part. lovely river. beautiful scenery and I caught both trips. my mates were not so keen so have never been back. to this day still not sure why. Seems to be a lot of fish from August onwards.
    I was told the river has been "man made" to get to the stunning state it is in now. Lots of blasting to create the pools as they are now. Not sure how true this is.
    Hi Gibbo (my nickname as well!),

This is absolutely true. The river was pretty much 'created' as a salmon fishery in the late 1960's by the then Laird and a river bailiff called Bill Topham. They used a huge tracked digger and a bulldozer to create the pools. Roger Dowsett, who now runs the Novar Fishing Partnership, showed me photos of all this being done. He plans to put these on the web site. If I was you I'd go back for another look!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast