Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree268Likes

Thread: Random Browns

Default Random Browns

Now that we can all load pictures more easily I thought I'd start a thread on brown trout photos, I'm always eager to see what's being caught out there.

Would be nice if theres a story behind the fish i.e. nice location, or something special about it etc. And no need to tell where caught if the poster wishes confidentiality.

I'll start off with a picture from my own library;

This is a brownie from the River Braan in Perthshire from last May. I didn't catch that one, my fishing buddy did, I just took the photo. It was caught on a size 16 olive klinkhammer. We were especially taken by its colour thus why I'm posting this one (no photoshopping, this is original pic).

Name:  20140418_131707.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  50.7 KB

Name:  20140418_131711.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  51.3 KB
    Last edited by AlanT; 14-01-2015 at 09:30 PM.

Default Colour

Great looking fish Alan. Stunning colour!
    AlanT and Hjortmyrs like this.

A nice brown from Missouri River, Montana. I caught it near Cascade in shallow water, took me well in to my backing in the first run.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name:  P1000519 (2).jpg
Views: 684
Size:  108.8 KB
    A wild Assynt brownie caught on a harry potter dry fly.

Name:  Mull.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  136.6 KB

This is I think what they call a Slob Trout? a Brownie that is living in brackish water which I took last year at the bottom sea pool.
    The fella was is a crackin condition and did he go some. Took a bumble with a crash fished in the wave, it was intended for his Sea Trout Cousin but I wasnt complaining.
    Last edited by Tyke777; 15-01-2015 at 10:27 AM.
    If You want to test the depth of water...... dont use both feet!!Hidden Content

Another good picture thread. I love 'em.

In 2000 I took a year off work and went backpacking round the world, aged 50, with just a rucsac and a 6wt Shakespeare travel fly rod. After 4 months in Asia and Oz I arrived in NZ for a month and ended up staying 4.

It was not a fishing trip but I fitted some in. Some great memories of catching wild fish - rainbows and browns. As with your first salmon, I shall never forget my first NZ wild brown.

Spotted it in the narrow stream just left of my knee, cast a bushy dry fly over it three times til it slowly rose and took it.

All the hostels were full that night but a kind local had offered us a bed so I presented the fish to her as a thank you. She invited us back that evening to eat the trout with her husband and friend. We sat on the sundeck and watched the sun go down on a glacier blue Lake Tekapo.

One of life's great memoriesName:  macaulay browm trout.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  66.8 KB

PS The picture quality is not great. In 2000 the technology was 35mm transparency in my SLR and one of those compact cassette film cameras. So this is a scanned image from an old print. No affordable mobile phones then . Used internet cafes to keep in touch and phone cards to call home once a month. It was great to be completely out of touch and relax.
    Last edited by Reiver Flash; 15-01-2015 at 10:22 AM.
    ibm59, Eminem, andyjaffs and 11 others like this.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  92.3 KB

Caught this big old fella one night on a 3" black and orange snake fly and a slow sink line . Safely returned to feast on parr and baby ducks .
    FaughanPurple, ibm59, pete and 4 others like this.

Views: 650
Size:  62.1 KB

Views: 648
Size:  74.6 KB

Views: 647
Size:  58.9 KB

Views: 651
Size:  67.6 KB

Just testing guys. Last year I spent longer fishing a few wee trout flies for the browns. Had plenty of sea trout too when not really targeting them. This coming season I plan to fish more for the trout. In past I rarely if ever fished for them. We'll see what water levels are like this year if low again forget the salmon.
    Last edited by Bradan_eire_alba; 15-01-2015 at 01:25 PM.
    FaughanPurple, ibm59, pete and 5 others like this.

Some of the nice troot i've caught on my trips up north the last few years. All safely returned.
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Last edited by hill loch gold; 15-01-2015 at 02:35 PM.
    ibm59, luney, longchuck and 22 others like this.
    An rud bhios na do bhroin, cha bhi e na do thiomhnadh

Quote Originally Posted by hill loch gold View Post
    A few troot from my trips up north. All safely returned.
    What a fantastic set of browns. All bigger than I normally catch up there. Well done
    AlanT likes this.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast