Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  364
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Browns

That big one looks like a sea trout.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
    That big one looks like a sea trout.
    It's a Dollaghan. According to Wikipedia "a potamodromous migratory trout spending much of the year in Lough Neagh, returning to the rivers in autumn to spawn."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollaghan
    What to do? Stay green.
    Never mind the machine,
    Whose fuel is human souls
    Live large, man, and dream small.

Quote Originally Posted by andyjaffs View Post
    This fly caught 'Dollaghan' has created a stir locally over here in Northern Ireland. 22lbs and taken on a river not a stone's throw from Belfast City Centre, caught by Derek Bell Jnr. Was caught 3 weeks ago and kept quiet I imagine because the river was low - we had a good flood this weekend and the photo was released. I really do think it is one the most wonderful specimen fish I have seen.

Attachment 13812
    Hm a magnificent fish however i dont think that it is a dollaghan. These trout are specific to lough Neagh and it feeder rivers, and to the best of my knowledge (i lived in Hilsborough) for 22 years there are no lough neagh feeder rivers within the a stones throw of Belfast city center.

Never mind that you have caught a fish of a lifetime well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippet321 View Post
    Hm a magnificent fish however i dont think that it is a dollaghan. These trout are specific to lough Neagh and it feeder rivers, and to the best of my knowledge (i lived in Hilsborough) for 22 years there are no lough neagh feeder rivers within the a stones throw of Belfast city center.

Never mind that you have caught a fish of a lifetime well done.
    I did not catch it but I am pretty sure it is a Dollaghan, and it was caught approximately 16 miles from Belfast City Centre. Factually, not a stone's throw from Belfast although we do have some talented stone throwers in these parts.
    What to do? Stay green.
    Never mind the machine,
    Whose fuel is human souls
    Live large, man, and dream small.

I did not catch it but I am pretty sure it is a Dollaghan, and it was caught approximately 16 miles from Belfast City Centre. Factually, not a stone's throw from Belfast although we do have some talented stone throwers in these parts.
    16 miles would get you in the right spot, and yes years of practice with the stones I agree, but 16 miles , unless of course it was Finn McCoul doing the throwing haha

Any way fantastic fish and well done to the captor
    Last edited by Tippet321; 06-09-2016 at 12:37 PM.

It's a Dollaghan. According to Wikipedia "a potamodromous migratory trout spending much of the year in Lough Neagh, returning to the rivers in autumn to spawn."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollaghan
    Post 80, big fish from a Tyne feeder burn?

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
    Post 80, big fish from a Tyne feeder burn?
    That's what I thought, I caught another slightly smaller very silver fish about a week before in the same pond , definitely a different fish same spot both put up a fight and I've only seen small Browns on this pond since.

It's taken me a while but finally got one worthy of the thread; if on the small side compared with some of the crackers on here. Derbyshire Derwent, about 3lbs 2oz, tungsten head peeping caddis into his back eddy after dries to his very gentle rises failed.

img_0986-jpg

[img_0990-jpg

Rest in the shallows and then shot off.

Quote Originally Posted by Grassy_Knollington View Post
    It's taken me a while but finally got one worthy of the thread; if on the small side compared with some of the crackers on here. Derbyshire Derwent, about 3lbs 2oz, tungsten head peeping caddis into his back eddy after dries to his very gentle rises failed.

img_0986-jpg

[img_0990-jpg

Rest in the shallows and then shot off.
    Looks like it could weigh a good deal more come the summer too. A cracker and better than any my recent trip gave me.

image-jpg
    Small trout but one of the nicest looking ones this year

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast