+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Gillies/catches

Default Gillies/catches

Some gillies are good, some gillies are bad, some are hopeless . On the Tay most are too headstrong, They don't know how well off they are, thats just my opinion having fished 15 beats on the Tay system.
    On the lower Tay fishing the Stobhall beat they operate 9am till 5pm, whether you are in the boat with a gillie or fishing from the bank, you start fishing at 9am till 1pm, 4hrs , they then break off for lunch for 1hr, the beats are rotated then, so you will fish the upper part of the beat or lower whichever you are given,you then commence fishing at 2pm till 5pm, 3hrs only !! that is a bit unfair on the rods as it gives the morning fishers the best/longest time on whichever part of the beat they are fishing. Surely the fairest thing is to fish 3.5hrs in each session ? and 30mins for lunch is ample for me and my pals, the gillies could then finish 30mins sooner, I find 1hr is too long !

Explain this then ? Stobhall and Taymount rotate their beats daily, they fish the beats throughout the season.

Catches salmon /grilse 2013 Taymount -- 545 Stobhall-- 338

A difference of 205 more fish caught on Taymount ?? I wonder why ? better fishers on Taymount or better gillies ? 207 fish diff, is some beats catch for the season. Taymount outfishes Stobhall most seasons. I haven't fished from Taymount, so i can't compare the gillies ?/
    Good beats to fish but which would you choose to fish ?
    Last edited by Finblades; 19-12-2013 at 08:27 PM.

feck that I book a days fishing I want dawn to dust and as many breaks as necessary it will be sommit scary like 100 plus a day for 9 to 5 most folk don't get half that for a days wage

I've never been to a beat on the tay where I have not been offered to fish on until sundown infact in quite a few cases it was the ghilles suggestion to fish on as it may be productive.

I agree with solwaysalmo if I book a day I'll be wanting to fish from dawn till dusk and probably no stop for lunch just a wee bite to eat at the side

Quote Originally Posted by GrannyKing View Post
    I've never been to a beat on the tay where I have not been offered to fish on until sundown infact in quite a few cases it was the ghilles suggestion to fish on as it may be productive.
    Agreed. If it's not offered then ask to fish on. Most will be fine with it. I would be very reluctant to travel all the way to the Tay, pay a fair bit of money and be told at 5pm my day is over. It would encourage me to choose beats with no ghillie.
    Last edited by paulfish_1; 19-12-2013 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Finblades View Post
    you start fishing at 9am till 1pm, 4hrs , they then break off for lunch for 1hr, the beats are rotated then, so you will fish the upper part of the beat or lower whichever you are given,you then commence fishing at 2pm till 5pm, 3hrs only !! that is a bit unfair on the rods as it gives the morning fishers the best/longest time on whichever part of the beat they are fishing. Surely the fairest thing is to fish 3.5hrs in each session ?
    On the assumption you will also be a "morning fisher" somewhere on the beat then what's not fair ?
    Sorry, I dont follow.

Finish when you want yes but all anglers should start at the same time....

Default Dawn to Dusk

Would have to be dawn until dusk for me also. 9 till 5 certainly wouldn't travel and pay for that. I'm a early morning lad and like to fish until the last drop of light.
    Regards

Jamie

No the done thing going through the pools before everyone else turns up. 9am start is fair. Club water is obviously different

To be honest I think assuming the difference in beats catches are down to the ghille or rotation system is a long way from the truth. In all rivers, some areas are more productive than others. It's as simple as that.
    As for the beats which rotate rods at lunchtime, I can understand an enforced hour long lunch. I often hear anglers complaining that they can't fish through lunch (not aimed at you) but they need to take into account that the guy sitting in the hut eating would then be fishing into water that's been thrashed. The guy fishing through would then move onto a lovely rested pool.
    I think, personally, fishing ghillied beats is about more than just how many fish you catch. It's the whole experience.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast