Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Use of coarse gear at the seaside......???

Hello all, this is my first post, so here goes.....use of freshwater, or coarse rods at the sea...? I asked the other day and was told the coatings on the line guides are the only real difference. If I am very careful, and wash them off with some soap and water after every outing, will I get away with it, does anyone have experience of this...............??

mid Wales, just over the Shropshire border

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoRandall View Post
    Hello all, this is my first post, so here goes.....use of freshwater, or coarse rods at the sea...? I asked the other day and was told the coatings on the line guides are the only real difference. If I am very careful, and wash them off with some soap and water after every outing, will I get away with it, does anyone have experience of this...............??
    It's a bit of a tangent for the salmon fishing forum, but as a new member I'll indulge.....

Sea rods are designed for the salt, their components ( rings, reel fittings) are coated to protect them from saltwater, or are manufactured as such. Freshwater tackle is not made with the same standards, the components are lighter and less robust ( at the coast I've had rods pulled over onto the beach or rocks by fish/ heavy tides etc).

The freshwater rods will be fine, but you'll have to make doubly sure you've washed them down. I used to wash all my saltwater tackle down with warm water and some washing up liquid to ensure the salt was dissolved off.....

Reels are probably more vulnerable in relation to the salt as the freshwater versions will not have the seals to prevent egress of saltwater the same as a saltwater reel, plus the components will be not as robust. The winching power of an ABU multiplier reel is far greater than that of say a carp reel when reeling in heavy weights. I suspect you'll be fishing light in any case.

Make sure reels are good quality to start with and flush them through thoroughly. I once had a cheapest (50) Shakespeare fixed spool reel that I bought for bass spinning- despite flushing the cheap metal internals lasted all of six trips and three months before it was completely rotted.......

Summary; of course you can use it, but beware of the limitations, if you are planning to do a lot of sea fishing then I'd buy sea tackle up front- rather than ruin your coarse gear before inevitably having to buy the sea gear anyway?

Andy is spot on.
    I would like to think that I am really pretty good about cleaning (and drying) fishing gear after use in the sea, but I still find bits of corrosion a month or so later on non-saltwater equipment.
    My advice would be: if it is tackle that you value, and/or could not easily replace, don't use it in the sea. Period.

I`m not thinking of waggler rods or swing tips or the likes but in a lot of salt / freshwater rods there is not a whole lot of difference.

Hundreds (more) sea anglers use lighter, say 1.25 - 1.75lb test curve carp rods as bass rods. Most of them fitted with graphite reel seats and in many cases Kigan or Fuji guides. Kigan and Fuji guides are also used a lot on dedicated bass spinning rods, mullet rods and so on, as are the identical graphite reel seats.

The main thing is to keep them well cleaned down with freshwater after use (salt or fresh rods). Good old shower works well and then a dry off. Reels a bit different, saltwater reels are designed for just that and things like big pit carp reels will go downhill fast. Again fresh water cleaning after use is essential and always with the drag locked tight down when rinsing, (release after).
    Last edited by Bonito; 13-06-2017 at 05:58 PM.

Default Thanks men...

Thanks guys...lots of helpful stuff there....just one quick point...my uncle ( Citroen dealer and bodyshop repair ) mentioned to me once never to wash the car with washing-up liquid, due to the very high salt content....!!!?? Will follow the above but use gel or shampoo..( when the mrs is off-guard, of course)....