Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default 0.17 For Rabbits

Had a good day at the rabbits on Wednesday with the new .17. It really is a devastating round. Had 48 in about two hours.
    I have used a .22 for many years but had the opportunity to add a .17 to my ticket and must say I am very impressed.
    You can stay well back from them out of their sight range and just knock them over one after the other.
    There seems to be a bit of a comeback with rabbits this year, would like to know if it is the same all over.

Default rabbits

Not a lot of rabbit about,not seen 48 in the last 4 years my mate,I reckon there are more ferrets in Great Britain, than rabbit.

id love to be shooting rabbits, i have a 22 and a 17 but there are not many about here, at bettyhill, or along the coast, are you getting them over towards you.

Quote Originally Posted by speers View Post
    id love to be shooting rabbits, i have a 22 and a 17 but there are not many about here, at bettyhill, or along the coast, are you getting them over towards you.
    These were in the Forfar area but there used to be a lot out on the point at Balnakeil Bay at Durness, not that far from you.

Have you got an HMR or an HM2?
    I love the .17 HMR, but think that what I gain in range and accuracy over the .22LR, I lose in extra noise (even moderated). So I need to stand off further to compensate!

Quote Originally Posted by Sash View Post
    Have you got an HMR or an HM2?
    I love the .17 HMR, but think that what I gain in range and accuracy over the .22LR, I lose in extra noise (even moderated). So I need to stand off further to compensate!
    Its a CZ 455 HMR, using 17gn Hornady ballistic tips through a A-TEC moderator.
    The mod takes the worst of the crack off and the longer distance you can stay back seems to help too.
    Its a really nice bit of kit and cheap too. The whole outfit new with a Hawke Panorama scope cost less than a medium range 15' rod or an upmarket reel.

There is a comeback of rabbits in Cornwall this year. Been pretty thin with mxy the past 2 years.
    I used to have a Cz 455 HMR... great gun, then had several lots of bad ammo and got annoyed. My mate in up in Lewis is now using it to great effect. Seems like the ammo is a bit more consistent now.
    Wish I still had it as I have had a few riccochets with my .22 and never seemed to with the HMR.
    48 is a hell of a haul! well done