Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Welded Loop Problems

Hi All
    I've had repeated problems with RIO lines and tips with them cracking immediately in front of the welded loop. Guide Flyfishing who handle warranty and repair issues for RIO have been very good and have gone as far as speaking with Simon Gawesworth at RIO about the problems but the consensus was I'm casting incorrectly since he says They get very few returns. I can't imagine I'm the only one with these problems. I'm interested in getting a straw pole to determine whether this is a widespread problem and if so do members mend the loop rather than return under warranty. Maybe a moderator could set up a questionnaire? Thanks
    Brendan.
    Foxy-Tails Team
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

All welded loops eventually crack immediatly behind the loop where the doubled section meets the single section, ......maybe I too am casting badly!!! As soon as I become aware of a crack I put on a small amount of aquasure to cover the crack and taper it. This extends the life of the original loop. You can repeat the process as often as you like or change to a braided loop or whatever you want.

Standard answer we get very few complaints,bullshit answers to try and shift the blame on a fault,for god sake it,s a fly line which is easily cast,I had a fly line that split length wise same bullshit you must be casting awkwardly,well I said I,ve cast for over 45 years and I have never had this problem before so I doubt what your saying as I am an instructor so I will be expecting it to be replaced under warranty,which it was after they tried to screw the postage out of me which I refused to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailfire View Post
    Hi All
    I've had repeated problems with RIO lines and tips with them cracking immediately in front of the welded loop. Guide Flyfishing who handle warranty and repair issues for RIO have been very good and have gone as far as speaking with Simon Gawesworth at RIO about the problems but the consensus was I'm casting incorrectly since he says They get very few returns. I can't imagine I'm the only one with these problems. I'm interested in getting a straw pole to determine whether this is a widespread problem and if so do members mend the loop rather than return under warranty. Maybe a moderator could set up a questionnaire? Thanks
    The same happened to my sink tip after a few sessions but the floater and the int are still fine after 3 seasons of use even with my dodgy casting. I didnt bother with returning it cos there isnt really much use for a heavy sinker where i fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailfire View Post
    Hi All
    My Rio 10' Versitip Intermediate failed before I'd even gone fishing! The plastic/PVC coating started to strip away at the loop and immediately behind it while I was practising casting with it. Had only cast it about 15 times. Luckily Garry Evans exchanged it no problem. This second one seems OK.

I like Rio lines but their factory loops do this. I cut them off and put on braided loops. Which of course is why they haven't had a return from me.

what do you expect? they are only $100 ;-)

Put a poly leader on and leave that there, it helps.

Had the same issue a couple of times. I now simply cut off the loop and fold the line over to make a new loop and tie two nail knots 3mm's apart with some mono. I then coat the two knots with Loon Knot Sense and zap with UV light.

Best

M

Ever since I first used a line with a welded loop many years ago and it cracked I have always coated the last 3" of any new line above the loop with a thin coat of aquasure. Never had a problem since.

Good idea
    Brendan.
    Foxy-Tails Team
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content