Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default New tip ring for an older Hardy Graphite?

I have an old Hardy Graphite that has a lined tip ring with a very small diameter. It is scarcely bigger than the belly of a #10 floater, and I feel that this is restricting my ability to shoot line.
    I would like to get the tip ring replaced with a newer snake ring-type tip, which seems to be what Hardy puts on its rods nowadays.
    I have emailed Hardy, and no reply.
    Can anyone recommend someone (preferably around London or south Wales) who can do this, and with the same (purple) whipping thread?

thanks

The type of ring your wanting is called a "Hay Fork" tip ring.
    You'll find loads on ebay.
    Piscator Non Solum Piscatur

Why not do it yourself? I had a Hardy favourite 12.5ft nice rod and yes it had very small rings.

You should find that the wipping is just a finishing touch and does not in anyway hold the tip ring which should be held in place solely with hot melt glue. If you heat the ring carefully it should pull off without any affect on the wipping. It is then an easy job to hot melt glue a new ring of your choice in place.

The glue is available on Ebay for about 3.50 and a choice of rings from guidesnblanks.com

Suggest you keep the old ring in case you want to put it back should you wish to sell the rod to a collector.

Many thanks: I was thinking of doing that.
    Do you know the name of the colour thread that Hardy used?
    I will probably end up buying a number of purples to get the right match.
    And, is there any particularly suitable make of tip ring?

You may struggle to get an exact match for the thread, picture might help.

On the hayfork tip, scroll down, plenty to choose from

Seymo - Rod Tip Rings

Quote Originally Posted by Sash View Post
    Many thanks: I was thinking of doing that.
    Do you know the name of the colour thread that Hardy used?
    I will probably end up buying a number of purples to get the right match.
    And, is there any particularly suitable make of tip ring?
    My thinking is that when removing the original tip ring there is no need to disturb the whipping which can be left in place. All you then need to do is find a new tip ring of suitable tube diameter and it should fit and butt up to the original whipping getting rid of the problem of trying to match the thread.

Send me your address and I'll send you some thread and a bit of hot melt glue to put the ring on that you warm with a lighter (you can do it on a teaspoon) The thread colour is gudebrod ncp purple Can't remember the number off hand but it's no longer made. In terms of tip rings I personally find a lined tip ring is better than a snake one if you are handlining in a lot of running line and you can get wider diameter lined tips from guidesnblanks.

Tight lines

Richard

Richard,
    that is really kind of you: PM sent
    Sash